Fees, permits, and inspections for connecting to public Water and/or Sewer will be prepared and provided to the Builders together with all other New Construction Building permits.
Existing Building or Residence
If you have an existing building or residence, and would like to connect to public water and/or sewer, the Department of Public Works requires a minimum of 3 business days to calculate the fees.
For additional assistance, contact the Department of Public works (586) 786-0010 press 221 or by email.
Outline of Procedures for Connecting
- Hire a contractor to install the water service line or install it yourself. If a service line is already installed, it must be exposed at the property line before the Department of Public Works can make the water connection.
- Obtain a plumbing permit at the Department of Public Works. The Department of Public Works charges a fee for the permit, which includes a future inspection of the plumbing for the water meter. Underground plumbing inspection must be performed by the Department of Public Works prior to the water connection.
- Complete the permit and pay the water connection fees at Washington Township Hall.
- Upon completion and payment of steps 2 and 3 above, it takes approximately 2 weeks before the Department of Public Works can make the water connection. However, if you are completely out of water and can demonstrate an emergency, we will try to make the connection within 72 hours.
- Once the Department of Public Works makes the connection, the plumbing must be completed by the homeowner or plumbing contractor before the meter installation.
- Once the plumbing is completed, notify the Department of Public Works to perform a rough plumbing inspection and meter installation. They can be reached at the automated DPW Inspection Request Line (586) 786-0010 press 222.