Irrigation Deduct / 2nd meter/ Second meter

Irrigation / 2nd meter


Residential irrigation deduct meter
(For common area sprinkler systems, see Seasonal Sprinkler Meters)

Customers with Irrigation Deduct/ 2nd meters installed do not pay sewer usage for amounts metered by the irrigation deduct meter, but they continue to pay for all water used. An Irrigation / 2nd meter will not be of any benefit to those customers who are not paying for public sewer. 

Monthly water service charges are based on the number of meters at your property, therefore your monthly service charges will increase with the addition of an irrigation/2nd water meter.
You should consider this and your outdoor watering habits when deciding if an irrigation/ 2nd meter will save you money. Click here for more information on Current Water & Sewer Rates.

Two (2) permits are required:
     1) Irrigation / 2nd meter permits through Department of Public Works, and
     2) Plumbing permit through Building Department.
Payment is due when permits are issued and may be paid by check or cash.

To download the Irrigation / 2nd meter  information packet, go to DPW FORMS> PERMITS & PROJECTS> Irrigation / 2nd meter

Irrigation / 2nd meter permits are issued at the Department of Public Works to the homeowner or their contractor.  You will need to know the size of the meter you require (3/4” or 1”).   Your irrigation installer will be able to tell you what size will work best for you.   

A Plumbing permit, also required, is issued by the Building Department at the counter to the homeowner or a licensed plumber.

A Backflow Certified plumber or irrigation specialist must test the backflow device on your irrigation system. Provide the Department of Public Works the completed Backflow Test form prior to scheduling the installation of the irrigation / 2nd meter. The following websites can help you to locate a Backflow Certified plumber or irrigation specialist Michigan Plumbing & Mechanical Contractors Association or American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) NOTE: Beginning January 1, 2018, water purveyors in Michigan will only be allowed to accept backflow assembly test results if testing was performed by individuals holding an active ASSE 5110 certification.

After your contractor has completed the work, tested the vacuum breaker and submitted the required Backflow Test form, you must contact the Building Department for a plumbing inspection. 

Once the plumbing inspection has been approved, call the automated DPW Inspection Request Line at (586) 786-0010 press 222 to schedule an appointment for the installation of the irrigation / 2nd meter.

Inspections are required on all permits issued.   Request for inspections may be made in person or by phone and generally will be completed the following business day.

Permits cannot be submitted or issued online; they are only issued at the counter.  

For additional assistance, contact  Heather Berger in the Department of Public works:
                                                                         (586) 786-0010 press 1211 or by email.