Permits & Miss Dig

                 PermitMiss Dig

CALL 811 BEFORE you dig...It's FREE

  • State law requires you to contact MISS DIG 811 before starting a digging project, regardless of the project size or depth. MISS DIG 811's services are FREE. 
  • A locate request needs to be placed at least 3 business days prior to but no more than 14 days before conducting excavation on your property. Contact MISS DIG 811 by using e-Locate, dialing 811 or 1-800-482-7171 to place a locate request online.
  • The utilities are only required to mark the lines that they own not privately installed such as connections to a garage or workshop or privately owned portions of the utilities such public water lines from the stop box to the building.
  • Flags should be removed by the person who called in the Miss Dig locate request. If they did not remove the flags, please call 811 and ask who requested the locate and contact them directly to see if they have completed the project.

The Department of Public Works staff prepares permits for:

  •      connecting to public water, sanitary and storm sewer sump line installations,
  •      final grade,
  •      fire hydrant water use,
  •      irrigation/ 2nd meter installations
  •      rehabilitation of private paving
  •      and completes all inspections for the above permits.
Development Construction permits and Soil Removal licenses are processed by Department of Public Works.

Payment is due when permits are issued and may be paid by check or cash.
Permits are not available online as they are issued at the counter.    
Application for new construction is included in the Building Permit package.

For additional assistance, contact the Department of Public Works:
                                                               (586) 786-0010 press 221 or by email.